Standing right in the middle of downtown Frankfurt, surrounded by modern high-rises, is an early 15th century tower called Eschenheimer Turm. The tower was once part of a massive fortification that consisted of nearly sixty towers and walls that encircled the city. Most were demolished between 1806 and 1812 when the old city walls were torn down. Eschenheimer Turm, along with two other towers, were saved from demolition at the request of French ambassador Count d'Hédouville. Today the tower is one of Frankfurt's most famous landmarks.
The Roman Emperor Louis IV began constructing the city walls in order to protect the “new town”, Frankfurter Neustadt, from the diverse dangers that threatened the city at that time. Fortification of Neustadt began during the middle of the 14th century and took over one hundred years to complete. The cornerstone for the original gate tower was laid on 11 October 1349. This was replaced by the Eschenheimer Turm built between 1426 and 1428.
Read more »
© Amusing Planet, 2015.