On the banks of the Danube River in Budapest, about 300 meters from the Hungarian Parliament building, lie sixty pairs of rusted old-fashioned shoes cast out of iron and attached to the stone embankment. There are shoes of different shapes, styles and sizes – men’s shoes, women’s shoes, children’s shoes. They sit at the edge of the water, scattered and abandoned. Behind the sculpture lies a 40 meter long, 70 cm high stone bench where at three points are cast iron signs, with the following text in Hungarian, English, and Hebrew - “To the memory of the victims shot into the Danube by Arrow Cross militiamen in 1944–45. Erected 16 April 2005.”
Known as “The Shoes on the Danube Promenade”, the sculpture, conceptualized by film director Can Togay and sculpted by Gyula Pauer, serves as a memorial and a monument to the Hungarian Jews who, in the winter of 1944-1945, were shot on the banks of the Danube River by the members of the Arrow Cross Party.
Read more »
© Amusing Planet, 2014.